Sunday, August 18, 2013

Whitepine Lake...and the adventure out

One of the reasons I love Cache Valley is because of all the beautiful places you find all around you.  It always amazes me that I have lived here for so long and am still experiencing incredible new places every year.  A couple weeks ago we took our bikes to the top of Tony Grove and rode them to White Pine Lake.  It was technical and difficult but so much fun.  Trev, Blub, and my dad came along.  We got off to a late start not realizing how long the trail would take.  We got to the lake about 8:45 and knew we had to hurry out.  We chose to not climb the big hill out and go down hill toward the highway because we thought it would be quicker.  We lost daylight about a half hour into it and tried to keep riding in the dark.  My dad was the fearless leader who kept us going.  We basically tried to ride exactly where he did since we couldn't see drop offs or rocks.  My dad started hippin and hollering and I thought he saw a black bear and was terrified til I realized it was cattle.  Then I started thinking if we are riding right through a huge herd of cattle and they start running we were going to be trampled. I was so scared!  Shortly after we had to get off our bikes because it was getting too dangerous to ride.  We walked through a couple more herds of cattle and I was terrified each time!  One of them followed us for about 5 minutes and I was sure it was going to charge!  We eventually had to pull out the cell phones for the flashlights because it was such a dark night and no moon was in sight!  I know, we weren't the most prepared...  We were pushing the bikes along and had been hiking for about an hour.  We were just focused on what we could see of the trail with our little flashlight phones.  All of a sudden we heard all the bushes around us moving.  I stopped dead in my tracks and raised the flashlight and all I could see were glowing eyes all around us.  We had walked into a heard of sleeping cattle!!!  They started grunting and just stared at us.  There are few times in my life I have been so scared.  Everyone was making fun of me because apparently cows are dumb and wouldn't hurt us but I could have sworn we were going to die!  We eventually made it down and out of the canyon at about 11:45.  Each of us had about 3 voicemails because our friends were so worried that we were dead or lost somewhere.  We definitely want to ride the trail again, but will definitely start a little earlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment